Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie Challenge

For most of my cooking tenure, I have avoided chocolate chip cookies like the plague. This is not because I am anti-chocolate chip cookies, on the contrary, I love a good chocolate chip cookie (and even more, the raw dough...despite all the times my mother told me not to eat it growing up...and from time to time now). I avoid making chocolate chip cookies because two bakers very close to me (sister and TF) make some of the most epicly amazing chocolate chip cookies that have ever crossed my taste buds and I know I could never measure up to their impossibly high standards. Over the years, I've lived with both of them and having my own cookie baker on hand was a definite perk. Usually, if I asked nicely (or, if they were feeling defiant, whined) both could be persuaded to whip up a batch for me :) Unfortunately, from time to time, I'm pressured to say who's version I like best. I hate that game and in truth, there is no winner. Both are different in taste and ingredients and I continue to love them equally.


Now that my baking skills are evolving, and my current roommate has four paws and no baking skills to speak of (or at least none that she's decided to reveal to me), I decided it was time to conquer my fear of making chocolate chip cookies. I actually found this recipe a while back, made it and loved it, but forgot to photograph my finished product. Blogger fail. Luckily, I froze half the dough the first time around, so when I had a craving for chocolate chip cookies the other day, my photo redo opportunity presented itself and I can now share my attempt at chocolate chip cookies. Still not as good as the work sister and TF do in this area, but it's a good tie over when they aren't around to make the real thing.






Chocolate Chip Cookies a la Gian
Courtesy of All Recipes


Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Preparation
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper
  2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside
  3. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart
  4. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely

No comments:

Post a Comment